Suite 8, Steenberg House, Steenberg Office Park, Silverwood Close, Tokai, 7945, Cape Town, South Africa
+27 (21) 701 3420
Anchor Environmental Consultants is a vibrant ‘boutique’ consulting firm based in Tokai, Cape Town that offers ecological and socio-economic assessment, research and monitoring to inform environmental management and policy. Our work encompasses ecology, livelihoods, economics, ecosystem services and natural capital accounting; it straddles marine, estuarine, freshwater and terrestrial realms; and it addresses decision-making, planning, policy and strategy regarding conservation, rural and urban development, resource allocation and management and climate change.
We provide a range of services including:
We have considerable in-house experience in a wide range of tools and methodologies, including ecological sampling methods, social survey methods, statistics and econometrics, ecological-economic modelling and geographic information systems.
We have published more than 140 scientific papers and we regularly participate in conferences. We also draw from an excellent network of associates as required. Our facilities include a well-equipped lab, boats, 4x4 vehicles and field sampling equipment, our own library and access to the University of Cape Town’s library services. Our strong academic background and continued association with the University of Cape Town strengthens our capacity-building efforts. We have developed and carried out training courses in marine ecology, fisheries management, resource economics and determination of freshwater inputs for estuaries. Anchor staff also regularly supervise postgraduate university students and teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses at UCT.
Our clients include a diversity of stakeholders involved in the environmental sector including industry, government and non-governmental organisations operating from local to international scales. Our geographic experience encompasses southern, eastern and western Africa, in Asia and the Middle East.
- World Bank, UNDP, UNEP,
- UNOPS, GIZ, GEF, USAID,
- IUCN, Conservation International, World Conservation Society,
- Global International Waters Assessment Programme,
- Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, Worldfish, Namibia Nature Foundation,
- International Government - DEFRA UK, Dubai, EU, SADC, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, LHDA, Tanzania, US Dept Energy,
- AECOM Washington, ERM,
- Flora & Fauna International, MRAG UK, Hagler-Bailey Pakistan,
- Local municipalities & IDZs, Provincial government,
- National departments, funds and commissions - DAFF, DEA, SAON, SANBI, DST, DWS, WRC, Planning, FFC, NEF, NRF, Lotto, Transnet NPA,
- Botanical Society, C.A.P.E., IUCN,
- START Programme, WWF-SA,
- GIBB, Jeffares & Green, Nemai, NWJ, Southern Waters, SRK, SSI,
- Industry (aquaculture, fishing, offshore mining, onshore mining, developers, renewable energy, shipping, sugar, environmental technology developers),
- Afridev, Chand, CES, Doug Jeffery, Freshwater Consulting Group,